Friday, March 28, 2008

The 4 o'clock Flu

Yesterday (Thursday) morning around 4:45 Cole awoke with the vomiting. This was dejavue to the 4:30 AM Tuesday episode with Carter. Yet, Cole gave us an alarm wakening by bursting into our room to say "I'm throwing up!" He ran back to their bathroom and made it just in time to the toilet. Flipping the blanket off the bed I hurried to help him. While in the bathroom, Dave said "I guess we need to call this the 4 o'clock flu." The only problem with that one is that at the ER they tested Carter for the official flu and it was negative. It must be some awful stomach bug.

Stuart woke up sometime around 6 AM with odd crying and I swept him into my arms held him close as a three year old does not know how to handle vomit. I could care less about my pajama top. It can be washed. Stuart calls his vomiting "I spit up." We ended up training him on the official throw up bowl that the boys carry around the home when sick and away from a bathroom.

It was one crazy morning, Cole stayed up in his room on the third floor while Stu was down on the second floor couch. I was coaxing Cole to come to the couch so I could be with them both and not run up and down the stairs checking on each of them. He was concerned about walking. I think he wanted to bring his beloved bed belongings to the couch so I asked. He did. His special blanket and pillow went to the couch. All was better so I could be with them on one level.

Cole ended up getting over the buggie by noon. Fluids were staying down. Yet obviously rest was needed. Stuart not so blessed. He was concerning me. Dehydration looked near at the noon hour. Fluids were not staying down. When he awoke from his nap I called the pediatrician. We arrived at the office for a peace of mind. Dr. McKinney is off on Thursdays so Dr. Joe took his patients. We ended up "testing" his vomit. Stuart received in the exam room a trial size Pedialyte and was given a tablespoon of fluid every five minutes on the clock. If he could hold it down in thirty minutes we could go home if not...ER would be in the future. His eyes were sucken and he could of benefitted from an IV yet it wasn't absolutely necessary per Dr. Joe. I agreed as Stuart was being more himself in the exam room.

Don't you know? They almost always perk up by the time you arrive to the pediatrician. I didn't mind for I wasn't looking forward to another ER visit.

In the van returning home, Cole expressed his thankfulness of having beds and couches to rest on. I was thankful that the bug came after 4 in the morning so a good nights sleep wasn't hindered as much. Two o'clock would be a different story.


Today was a good day as we had some sweet time together. The older boys have been bummed that their spring break wasn't all that they had desired. We did not go to Nascar Speedpark like we had planned for Tuesday and cancelled a Thursday playdate with friends we hadn't seen in a while. Tuesday was too cold anyway. Oh well, there are other fun days ahead.

Last night didn't lend itself to a post. Go figure!

Almost forgot... I have a MRI tomorrow (Saturday) at 11:45 in the morning. My follow up oncologist appointment is on Monday, April 1 with labs taken prior to that time.

Just being a mom,

kate

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I'm tired just reading your post...it's so good to have Mommy's arms around you when you are sick...and the special "bed buddies" on the couch help, too.

Praying you & Dave don't get this awful bug.

In His Grip,
Sue Stark :)

OKGardners said...

I've been there and done that with the sick kids routine. They take the bug one at a time and it lasts for days!

I hope the rest of your weekend is better and that your MRI goes well. I join the first post by saying, "I hope you don't get the bug, too." I'm still praying for you!

God Bless your Family,

Betty in Oklahoma
blue.eagle@cox.net

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

At least, there is some consolation in knowing that all three of the kids have had it by now! Let us know if there is anything you need.

Get some sleep, all five of you!

:) Erika