Monday, November 10, 2008

WBC low

Dr. Hu was my oncologist for the morning. My WBC is a low 3.2. The range is 4.0 - 9.8. My October WBC was 8.4. We will need to monitor this more closely. I am not sure at this point if my chemo regimen will be lowered Friday for Novembers cycle. I have a call into Dr. Hu as I forgot to ask. It is most likely going to stay at 350 mg. I also forgot to ask what is expected with a low white blood cell count. Time to google this information. See below.

White blood cells. These cells help your body fight infection. A low white blood cell count (leukopenia) leaves your body more open to infection. And if an infection does develop, your body may be unable to fight it off.

Following up on my earlier post concerning early menopause...

80 - 90 % of patients taking Temodar (chemo) experience early menopause. Time will tell. I will find out more later with Dr. Needles.


k-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your protection from all the germs out there this time of year- and for your counts to go up! Lots of love and hugs all the way from Italia- Jen
Psalm 16

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate~
Keeping you in our thoughts, heart, and prayers as chemo weekend approches and with your WBC being lower this month. When will they do another blood count? That is a pretty drastic drop and your chemo could be to blame or maybe the blood work needs to be rechecked for error or maybe last month your number was higher do to a small virus and your body was fighting it off- there are so many possibilities. Last week my Hemoglobin was low, ended up with blood transfusion and my WBC was 2.8 and I'm not on chemo. I do take an immune suppliment and B-complex to help fight off the sickies. Make sure when you go shopping or out where there are a lot of people that you wear a mask (even if you feel dorky or weird) it will help so you don't get sick. And make sure you and the boys keep your hands washed and no handshaking- that is the best defense against the germs. I know how scary the numbers can sound and hope some of this info helps. Happy 2nd Anniversary to life. You have come a long way and helped so many in your journey. Take care and God Bless. Love Danielle (IN)

Anonymous said...

Praying for your counts to go up & to find some answers to questions.

Love, Sue :)

"Those who trust in the LORD are like Mt. Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever." Ps. 125:1