Sunday, June 03, 2007

Homefront Updates

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a wise man overlooks an insult.

Proverbs 13:16

Starting last Sunday our family has started to memorize a verse a week. Last week it was the above verse. A great time of discussing was had at the dinner table. When it is right to overlook an insult and when it should not be overlooked? Honestly it was very difficult to come to a final conclusion. We ended up in agreement that it really depends case by case. Carter quickly said "I have been a fool." I laughed and said I am in the same boat. Unfortunately, in the past (and still now at times) it has been hard for me to overlook offenses. I sought/seek revenge. Sad but true. I am working on it.

Dave explained that the book of Proverbs are not absolute truths but rather truisms, things that are generally true. For example -

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Pr 22:6

A christian parent can train their child the very best they could and does that guarantee he will stick to the path? No. Will most? Yes.

I am not sure why we have never taken a verse a week to memorize before now. It has proven to be such a great time of discussion. Somehow last week we even got on the subject of the mustard seed. Oh and was that good? Cole really was intrigued by how the mustard seed plant can be so large and produce so many tiny seeds. Great gospel illustration.

I also have been reading Heaven by Randy Alcorn for my personal summer devotional. This book has really been a great blessing. Very insightful. I am only on chapter seven. I suggest you read it too if you haven't. It has made me think of things that I haven't ever pondered prior to now. It even touches on the subject of animals. I haven't gotten to that chapter yet so can't tell you what it says.

Carter's 9th birthday is this Tuesday. I have been having fun planning football themed games. The party favors I ordered online from ebay will be a big hit. Remind me to tell you about them if I forget. They are a must have for any parent of a boy who loves sports and will be having a sport themed party. No sugar or cheap breakable toys. Something that is really neat and useful. They are even personalized!

No comments: