Friday, January 19, 2007

His faithfulness in answered prayer

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons;
he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.
I thank and praise you O God of my fathers:
You have given me wisdom and power,
you have made known to me what we asked of you,
You have made known to us the dream of the king.
Daniel 2:20-23
After doing my Bible study on Daniel today I wanted to share with you as many praises that have come forth with this journey. As Daniel 2 describes, he is asking for mercy from God of heaven to reaveal the mystery of Nebuchadnezzars dream. Daniel along with Hananiah, Mishael, Azariah (also known as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego) prayed earnestly for mercy to reveal the mystery. That night after prayer the dream was revealed to Daniel. He immediately took time to praise God. The above verse tells of his praise. It shows Gods faithfulness. I have been lacking in praising God for answered prayer. Please join with me in this joy. Blog any praises you can think of. It is time for rejoicing even now!
  1. Pre op - laughter prior to surgery - thank you Gene Moniz
  2. The blackBerry - updates with scripture prior to pre op - Thanks to Dave's employer
  3. Dr. Forget with his skilled hand - even MD Anderson Dr. Yung said it looked great on the MRI scan!
  4. surgery - no severe side effects
  5. surgery - lived through it
  6. surgery - no blood clotting issues
  7. great ICU staff at St. Johns especially Amy (cute stack haircut) (even with all the drugs I remember her haircut she was oh so kind and knew what to do - so on the ball . . . Many Thanks!)
  8. post op - healed very quickly no infection
  9. post op - drove almost 2 weeks later Wow! That is amazing after brain surgery.
  10. A loyal husband, Dave - researches tirelessy and loves unconditionally
  11. No flu or any sickness in the family - only a slight cold for Stuart in November
  12. Safety for Dave & I and the boys while we were in Houston, TX
  13. Radiation - no steroids or burns yet
  14. My hair loss is not my main focus today
  15. Not on chemo with the RT and it was OK'd by both oncologist and radiologist doctors
  16. Other Siteman patients especially Joe
  17. staff at radiology - therapists, Amy & Jessica - receptionist, Stefanie & Dot - nurse Deb & parking attendants, yes you with the braided hair
  18. Health insurance
  19. Dave's employment
  20. This blog - thanks to Andy King
  21. Friendship
  22. Nutritional biochemist, Dr. C. for taking time to explain the natural compounds on a molecular level
  23. My heart change and continual maturity in Christ
  24. God is the same yesterday, today and forever
  25. God's providence is intentional and purposeful
  26. Fear is lessened - it is becoming easier to trust
  27. I have joy!
  28. My mom, Sandy aka: Grams to bloggers! - for cooking, cleaning, organizing, watching boys, listening and giving advice to me when asked the list goes on and on - all without being paid any money!
  29. Younger sister Jean, aka: Aunt Dee Dee - taking her days off from work to come help
  30. For the people who have given monetarily.
  31. Meals being made to feed our family. Thanks. I am humbled.
  32. Dr. Forget's staff - They have been so kind from the beginning. I came in crying on the first day and was put into a room to fill out my paperwork. Thanks Sue!
  33. Songs that come to my mind often
  34. Being obedient more
  35. Doctors in my care - Dr. Linette, Dr. Simpson, Dr. Forget, Dr. Sanders
  36. Trusting God more
  37. Believe His promises to me
  38. Stepping out in faith and obedience when asked to do so
  39. Lean on Him when the going gets tough - OK that is every morning when I awake!
  40. To rely on the faithful prayers of many who are lifting me & my family
  41. Mercies that are new every morning when I need them
  42. God giving me endurance to go the distance
  43. This journey is not all about me. It is about God working in me.
  44. Brain cancer being the most humbling experience thus far in my life

I am very sure there is so much more to praise. Please comment as you see necessary. I am so thankful for God's continued faithfulness. God is so good. Share in this time of joy!

Kate

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS NAME THEM ONE BY ONE
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS SEE WHAT GOD HAS DONE
To Him who is able to do exceedingly more than we ask or think.
Getting ready for snow and in the bread baking mood.
Gram

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
How delighted I was when I read your blog today and saw that I was mentioned. You made my day. Your quiet strengh and grace made quite an impression on me back when you were my patient in November. It's not very often that I have a patient for only one night and know that I will remember them always. I have been keeping up with your journey by reading your blog as often as I can. Know that I pray for you and your family.
--Amy, RN

Anonymous said...

I praise God for your life, Kate!
jenna, Minneapolis, MN

Anonymous said...

I couldn't BELIEVE there was a list of thanksgivings when I looked at the blog today. Believe it or not, my mind was on the SAME THING when I was praying for you from 11:30 to 1:00 (up w/ Elijah). I made a list of things in my head that I was thankful for FOR you about your brain tumor saga. And here, lo and behold, YOU did the same thing! God must be prompting us BOTH to be more thankful. My thoughts were (some are repeats of yours):
1) Dave (faithful, loving you unconditionally) 2) Grams (tirelessly being a servant) 3) your Aunt (for taking care of Grandpa in Grams' stead) 4) Grandpa (for being willing to go to Columbia for a time) 5) Joe (for keeping your mind on OTHER's woes and giving you someone to pray for) 6) Headbands 7) Faithful friends to encourage and pray 8) DeeDee (the superbabysitter and provider of healthy concoctions to imbibe) 9) Dr. Forget (for being so aggressive in the beginning--both in the timing of his surgery [rapid scheduling] and skill of his hand) 10) Clementines (a tangible reminder that your public adores you and wants to meet your needs) 11) the boys' antics (from shouper man to hayrides to sock tag) to keep you smiling when you may not feel like it on the inside 12) A faithful God, who holds you cupped in His capable hand--that: "When we can't see His hand, we can trust His heart.".....my list went on and on, too, but I'll stop rambling. I'm glad we were on the same page...I love you! Laura

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
I'm praising God with you, too!
Praise God that we can CHOOSE to praise Him in the midst of such difficulty and trial because His promises are sure and true, and everything that is good comes from Him!
I praise Him for His constancy, and that in this unpredictable life, He alone is who we can count on to NEVER let us down!
He IS able to do exceedingly more than we could ever ask or imagine. What a great God!
Tiffani Gibbs

Anonymous said...

>>Not really a praise reply except that I am praising God that He has you in the palm of His hand, watching over you...

LeeAnn Gienke


>> Brenda was almost halfway to the top of the tremendous granite cliff.
>>She was standing on a ledge where she was taking a breather during this,
>>her first rock climb. As she rested there, the safety rope snapped against
>>her eye and knocked out her contact lens. "Great", she thought. "Here I am
>>on a rock ledge, hundreds of feet from the bottom and hundreds of feet to
>>the top of this cliff, and now my sight is blurry."
>> She looked and looked, hoping that somehow it had landed on the ledge.
>>But it just wasn't there.
>> She felt the panic rising in her, so she began praying. She prayed for
>>calm, and she prayed that she may find her contact lens.
>>
>> When she got to the top, a friend examined her eye and her clothing for
>>the lens, but it was not to be found. Although she was calm now that she
>>was at the top, she was saddened because she could not clearly see across
>>the range of mountains. She thought of the bible verse "The eyes of the
>>Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth."
>>
>> She thought, "Lord, You can see all these mountains. You know every
>>stone and leaf, and You know exactly where my contact lens is. Please help
>>me."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Later, when they had hiked down the trail to the bottom of the cliff
>>they met another party of climbers just starting up the face of the cliff.
>>One of them shouted out, "Hey, you guys! Anybody lose a contact lens?"
>>
>> Well, that would be startling enough, but you know why the climber saw
>>it? An ant was moving slowly across a twig on the face of the rock,
>>carrying it!
>>
>> The story doesn't end there. Brenda's father is a cartoonist. When she
>>told him the incredible story of the ant, the prayer, and the contact
>>lens,
>>he drew a cartoon of an ant lugging that contact lens with the caption,
>>"Lord, I don't know why You want me to carry this thing. I can't eat it,
>>and it's awfully heavy. But if this is what You want me to do, I'll carry
>>it for You."
>>
>> I think it would do all of us some good to say, "God, I don't know why
>>You want me to carry this load. I can see no good in it and it's awfully
>>heavy. But, if You want me to carry it, I will."
>>
>> God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.
>>
>>
>> Yes, I do love GOD. He is my source of existence and my Savior. He
>> keeps
>>me functioning each and every day. Without Him, I am nothing, but with
>>Him....I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. (Phil.
>>4:13)
>>

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes He calms the storm, with a whisper 'Peace be still'. He can settle any sea, but it doesn't mean He will. Sometimes He holds us close as the wind and waves go wild. Sometimes He calms the storm and other times He calms His child." Chorus from a song I heard on the radio the other day and was immediately prompted to pray outloud for you and your family with the kiddos in the car. They in turn prayed also -unprompted - it was so cool! We are rejoicing with you that you are able to rejoice today, this day. And we are rejoicing that you are His child and that you are able to rest in that.
Tabatha

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kate

I have so many praises to be thankful for. Yesterday I found this "long ago" picture of me and you. How happy your smile makes me and joyously my heart sings with praise for everyday that God has made us SISTERS in HIM.

I love you
Marnie

Anonymous said...

I cried with tears of JOY when I read all your praises. You've been such a blessing to me as I continue to read your blog. I was thinking of you and your family as you continue with your healthy diet. And, was wondering if you've ever heard of Juice Plus (17 fruits & vegetables in a capsule). If you want to know more, give me a call or send a private email at susan.schilling@sbcglobal.net.
-susan schilling

Anonymous said...

To fellow blogger LeeAnn Gienke
The story of the ant carrying the contact lens is just the best I've heard so far. The ant can be found in Proverbs 6:6.
Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!
6:7 It has no commander, no overseer or ruler,
6:8 Yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.
Maybe that little ant on the mountain ledge had already stored its food a few months prior and was just thinking it might be able to sell that contact lens on ebay.
After all The Word of God uses them as an example of resourcefulness to the sluggards of the world.
LeeAnn I will just lie my head on the pillow tonight smiling about that ant. Thanks for sharing it.
Gram enjoying the bloggers!

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of Paul and Silas singing in prison. It was a low point for them. Yet when they praised, there was an earthquake - their chains fell off, and they were eventually released. I cannot forget and I continually am so thankful that "He inhabits the praise of His people." He lives in your praise. So if you feel far from God, praise Him, because that is where He dwells. And look for your earthquake . . . The situation surrounding your release may look like a disaster (like an earthquake or cancer, for example), but God is in the business of freedom. Keep on praising, girl!
Jenn Fromke
North Carolina