Well, the verdict is that the MRI is scheduled for Friday, March 2 in the morning. We are then to see Dr. Linette on Wednesday, March 7 to discuss the results. We do not need to make a decision about starting Temodar till at that time. He stated that it is highly unlikely that any growth would have occured by this next MRI. If it does we will know the severity of this tumor.
Our questions about Temodar were answered. We asked specifically if it would be just as effective to do the "wait and see if anything comes back" approach versus taking the Temodar right after the MRI. He agreed with us that the clinical studies that were done on my type of tumor were solely for the recurrent cancer patients. So in theory yes, the Temodar would work when & if the cancer returns.
Patients with my type of cancer that take the Temodar usually on average have the cancer return in about 3 to 4 years. Dr. Linette said that it was very positive that I had a great surgery to remove what Dr. Forget could see. Completing radiation is also to my benefit.
With or without chemo MRI's will be every 3 months or sooner if I exhibit any clinical neurologically signs. I will also have blood work every 3 months when I check in with Dr. Linette. If we do take the Temodar I will need blood work every month to monitor my bone marrow and many other things.
All in all Dave and I are pleased to not make a firm decision till after the MRI is complete. We are obviously praying that no signs of growth of any kind will show up on Friday, March 2.
7 more radiation treatments to go!