Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Surgery Scheduled

Brain Surgery has been scheduled for next Wednesday, December 12 at 11 am. We are to arrive at 7 am for prep stuff. I am to have a stealth MRI to aid in the surgery procedure. Bloodwork will also be taken just in case a transfusion is necessary. Hope not.

We will be telling the boys tonight. Please pray for their hearts reception.

We would so appreciate the prayers. I am including the wording of the consent to treat form for you to view. Last time I just cried over the first two and never read the rest. This time I read the whole thing. Dr. Forget said that there is just a less than 5% chance of any of these happening but I needed to be informed of what has happened to other patients.

Procedure: Craniotomy for Resection of Brain Tumor

I understand that there are risks associated with this procedure to include but not limited to:

1. Weakness or paralysis of muscles on the opposite or same side of the body.

2. Bleeding in or around the brain requiring additional surgery.

3. Change in or loss of vision in one or both eyes.

4. Difficulty or loss of ability to speak, read write or communicate in any way.

5. Cerebral spinal fluid leak.

6. Infection in the brain (abscess) or the spinal fluid (meningitis)

7. Seizures requiring short term or lifelong medication & possibly preventing the operation of a motor vehicle permanently.

8. Brain swelling or stroke causing paralysis, coma, persistent vegetative state, coma or loss of life or limb.

Whew! That is one heavy list. I realize they are unlikely to happen to me but all the same we need to pray over each risk. Especially for me personally the possibility of personality change (20 - 25%). That is really heavy on my heart. The risk of infection is greater with a second surgery.

Love to have you this Friday evening praying. Be sure to email us for we will not post the location on the blog. (davekate410 at sbcglobal.net) Please again pray for the boys - Carter (9) and Cole (7). Stuart (3) is clueless for the most part. He knows something is going on but is still his cheerful self. So thankful for that.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you in Nashville.

Anonymous said...

Kate,that is a heavy list....God is still God and in control..and is holding you in His hand.


"We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know Him who is true. And we are in Him who is true--even in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and Eternal Life." 1 John 5:20

In His Grip,
The Stark's

Anonymous said...

Kate, Dave, Carter, Cole, and little Stu:
WOW is what comes to mind! I knew you were wanting to do this all before Christmas, your doctors don't mess around- that's good. The risk list is frightening and overwhelming. As I was reading the list, knowing that you can get help/treatment for your cancer conventionally, I was thinking that if you wouldn't have the surgery some of those things could potentially happen as the tumor grows. Sorry, I was thinking of little Aven and the trouble he is going through until his 3rd brain surgery. I am in NO way belittling or dening you your feelings, I'd be suprised and a little worried about you if the list didn't scare you. As one who has symptoms with my cancer, I'm SO VERY happy for you that you don't have too many physical symptoms.

YOU are ALL in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for you and Chuck as you tell the boys tonight that their hearts and minds can grapple this hard news and know what a wonderful mommy they have , for the two of you with the right words to speak and wisdom for their questions, that you will be able to have the time you all need to process all of this information, for each of you to have as much peace as possible, love, and praying for Carter and Cole and Soccer Gram so they get to school a little early next week so the boys can have their first recess before school starts- oh the sweetness and priorities of little boys! How long will you be in the hospital and how long is recovery time?
Just remember thousands of people are praying for you, you are loved, you are in Gods loving arms and he will carry you through this hardship, that kids are resilent and can handle more that we give them credit for.
Take care and God Bless!
If there is anything I can do please let me know. Cousin love and hugs!
The Cripe family

Episcopollyanna said...

Kate,
I am praying for you and for your family.
God bless. +

Anonymous said...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit- Romans 15:13

This is my prayer for you and your family, Kate- He protects and heals and is the giver of HOPE- Love in Him, Bill and Jen Peskorse

Missy said...

Kate, found your blog through Especially Heather. Wanted you to know we are praying for you and your family. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

We're praying.

Erika

Paulette said...

I live in Texas, so I will not make the prayer vigil but I promise I will pray extensively begining today for all requests known in this situation. Iam also in prayer tonight as you tell the boys. may the Lord show you all his loving peace that only he can give, and wrap you all in his strong amazing arms.
Blessings and I will not stop praying.

Sylvia said...

Kate, You don't know me. I don't even know how I found your blog, but I have been following your story. Prayers from San Diego are headed your way.
God bless your sons.
Sylvia

Heather said...

Kate,
What a brave fighter you are. I too remember that consent form. Sometimes the hardest part is bringing yourself to read sign that form. It is difficult to take in. I will pray for your entire family as you endure yet another surgery. I pray you are home for Christmas with your family. This can not be easy, but I believe the Lord will see you through.
Love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Kate, Wow, that list is way heavy and I can even begin to express my thoughts and feelings. I prayed for your family that God would give you and Dave the words to say to the boys. Also, that he would give you and the rest of your family comfort and peace about your decision.

As it say's in God's word,
"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you..."John 14:27

Let me know if you need help in any way. Love, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,
Your boys are in bed by now, I'm sure, and I'm praying that they are sleeping peacefully. I'll continue to pray for them as they digest the news over the next few days. Such heavy stuff for them to handle, yet they are not alone--EVER--because the God of all comfort is with them every breath they take. (It's so great how He equips us with exactly what we need for each step of the journey!)

I'm so glad to know what your plan is so I can pray specifically for each of you. MANY people are lifting you up and will continue to every day.

Get good rest tonight, sweet Kate!
Tiffani G

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I give you and your family up to our Lord, "The great Healer, comforter and Saviour." You are in our prayers along with your entire family.
Love,
The Curtis Family

Anonymous said...

Kate,

we are praying for you and your family!

Scot and Andrea Wallace

Anonymous said...

Kate and Dave...Both of you and the boys are in our thoughts and prayers. We wish you the best during surgery and post-op. God bless all of you! Jennifer, for the Schulte family

Anonymous said...

Dave and Kate -

We are praying for you and your sweet boys. Our hearts are sad and heavy for you. We are trusting God even in this difficult situation. We are thankful that you are feeling His peace. Let us know how we can help you.
Love,
Roland and Cindy