We will be telling the boys tonight. Please pray for their hearts reception.
We would so appreciate the prayers. I am including the wording of the consent to treat form for you to view. Last time I just cried over the first two and never read the rest. This time I read the whole thing. Dr. Forget said that there is just a less than 5% chance of any of these happening but I needed to be informed of what has happened to other patients.
Procedure: Craniotomy for Resection of Brain Tumor
I understand that there are risks associated with this procedure to include but not limited to:
1. Weakness or paralysis of muscles on the opposite or same side of the body.
2. Bleeding in or around the brain requiring additional surgery.
3. Change in or loss of vision in one or both eyes.
4. Difficulty or loss of ability to speak, read write or communicate in any way.
5. Cerebral spinal fluid leak.
6. Infection in the brain (abscess) or the spinal fluid (meningitis)
7. Seizures requiring short term or lifelong medication & possibly preventing the operation of a motor vehicle permanently.
8. Brain swelling or stroke causing paralysis, coma, persistent vegetative state, coma or loss of life or limb.
Whew! That is one heavy list. I realize they are unlikely to happen to me but all the same we need to pray over each risk. Especially for me personally the possibility of personality change (20 - 25%). That is really heavy on my heart. The risk of infection is greater with a second surgery.
Love to have you this Friday evening praying. Be sure to email us for we will not post the location on the blog. (davekate410 at sbcglobal.net) Please again pray for the boys - Carter (9) and Cole (7). Stuart (3) is clueless for the most part. He knows something is going on but is still his cheerful self. So thankful for that.